Mark Millmore R.E.
EGYPT & ANIMALS
In 1982, I went to Egypt hoping to find fresh inspiration by turning my attention towards a culture whose artistic conventions were alien to my modern European eyes. I became especially interested in the works of the tomb artists, who exhibited an extraordinary visual rhythm in the way they depicted the creatures of air, river and desert. Also, the images of people, dead for more than four thousand years, danced across the sandstone walls. All illustrating a way of life that is echoed along the banks of the Nile today.
Egyptian art is not based on any scientific laws such as perspective, but on simple ease of recognition. Unlike western art, the empty canvas (or wall), was not a space in which to create illusions, but rather a surface on which to present magical diagrams. The aim was to convey accurately the information needed for a successful transition into the next life. Thus, objects are depicted by their most characteristic aspects. Crocodiles, for instance, are always drawn in profile, while lizards are shown from above. This is due to the obvious difference in the animal's size and the angle from which they would normally be viewed.
- Born 1956, Isle of Wight. England
- 1976-77 Wolverhampton Art College
- 1977-80 Falmouth School of Art (B.A.Hons, Fine Art)
- 1981-82 Brighton poly, (A.T.C.)
- 1982 Studied Ancient Tomb Art In Egypt
- 1982-84 Art Teacher.
- 1989 Elected Associate Member of Royal Society of Painter Printmakers. (A.R.E.)
- 1991 Stewaed for The Artists General Benevolent Institution
- 1994 Fellow of The Royal Society of Painter Printmakers. (R.E.)
- Scenic Artist for BBC: 1984-85
- Blott On The Landscape
The Food & Drink Show
- Theatre Designer:
Stinkfoot - A Comic Opera by Vivian Stanshall. 1985 (Old Profanity, Bristol)
- 1988 (Bloomsbury, London)
1991 Rawlinson Dogends, Staring Vivian Stanshall. (Bloomsbury, London)
- 1990 'Working With Etching' Artists & Illustrators Magazine.
- 1992 'Ideas for Images' The Magazine for The International Collector of Watercolours, Drawing & Prints.
- 1996 'Medi8or Magic' Pc Answers.
- 'Birds Beasts & Fish' Multimedia Cd Rom
'Birds Beasts & Fish' Multimedia Cd Rom
'From Paint To Pixels' Pc Answers.
Editor of 'Printworks Magazine'
- 1997-98 Feature Columnist for Web Masters (Paragon Publishing).
One Man Shows
- Birds Beasts & Fish
1990 Lyric Theatre, London.
Kings Lynn Centre for The Arts.
1991 Arts Intaglio, Manchester.
1992 Old Vic, Bristol.
- Egypt And Animals,
1993 Royal Exchange Theatre, Manchester.
- From Paint To Pixels
1996 Hewlett-Packard Laboratories
- Ou La Vie Sauvage
1998 Nature et Découvertes Centre Commercial « Les Quatre Temps » Paris - France
Works in Collections
- Ashmolean Museum, Oxford.
Habikino City Hall, Japan.
Crown Court, Bristol.
Victoria Art Gallery, Bath.
Furama Hotel, Hong Kong.
Egotel, Luxor, Egypt.
The Hereford Trust.
Kanagawa Prefectural Gallery, Japan.
County of Avon Education Department.
International Centre for Wildlife Art, Gloucester.
Auburn University Contemporary Art Collection, USA
Sioux City Art Center, Iowa - USA
Mixed Shows 1986 - 95
- 4th National Exhibition Of British Prints, Blackpool.
- 5th Seoul International Print Biennale, Korea.
- 12th International Print Exhibition, Kanagawa, Japan.
- Hanga Annual, Metropolitan Museum Of Fine Art, Tokyo.
- 17th International Biennale, Ljubljana, Yugoslavia.
- 13th International Print Exhibition, Kanagawa, Japan.
- 2nd International Exhibition Of Miniature Art, Toronto.
- 3rd International Biennal Print Exhibit, Taiwan, Roc.
- 7th Mini Print Internacional De Cadaques, Spain.
- Espana 88, Sociedad De Grabadores Del Sur, Malaga.
- The Society Of Wildlife Artists, The Mall Galleries, London
- Print Types, Kansas State University, U.S.A.
- 13th Freemantle Print Award Exhibition, Australia.
- Zoo Check, Hays Galleria, London.
- The English Experience, Missouri State College, U.S.A.
- Royal Scottish Academy 163rd Annual Exhibition, Edinburgh.
- 14th Freemantle Print Award Exhibition, Australia.
- 15th International Exibition Of Prints, Kanagawa, Japan.
- 4th International Biennal Print Exhibit, Taiwan, Roc.
- Homage To Other Species, Oklahoma, University, USA
- The Intaglio Process, Fort Hays University, Kansas, USA
- Affinity With Nature, Springfield Art Museum, Missouri, USA
- Truly Original Prints, Bankside Gallery, London.
- Osaka Triennale 91, Japan.
- Whaletail, East African Wildlife Society, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Miniart 91, Susekullen, Olofstrom, Sweden.
- Art In Action, Oxford.
- A.D. Fine Art Show, Barbican Centre, London.
- The First International Print Biennale, Maastricht, Holland.